Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Tunisian Home




This is my room in Tunisia. Its really simple, just a mattress on the floor and a place for my clothes. Of course, its much messier now than when I took this photo.





This is the view from my window.




As you can see, it's absolutely gorgeous at night. And its the perfect temperature to leave the window open when I sleep at night to let the breeze in.




This is one of my favorite parts of the house, the bookshelf. Most of the books are in french and arabic.
Two of the books that I'm attempting to read are:

"La Pensée Musulmane Moderne" (Modern Islamic Thought)
"Le Don" de Toni Morrison (A french translation of one of Toni Morrison's books ... I'm trying, its a bit of a struggle)




My Tunisian mom taught me how to make couscous. This was my first attempt. You cut up a ton of vegetables, dump in some uncooked couscous, add some garlic, drizzle in some olive oil (the Tunisians love olive oil) and then mix it all up with your hands. Its pretty messy.

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh9JqWaYM1jVXnS5fcOvcusjdnQzFFMK6InYh291EmpsDY6UtBSFSaJTxTiNugdbq2Mgml2yFXYq718729WncNcvN0t9IN8JYUDTsnKBGpksqganngj9GnNY6iSa3TqO0jcOtqwDicIq0w/s1600/IMG_0990.JPG">

Then you put it on the stove for an hour, the couscous cooks, and voila, my lunch for the entire week at work. I love Tunisian food. (more pictures to come!)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a plan. Instead of Burger King we will have Couscous King, not Pizza Hut but Couscous Hut.
    We love you Joan
    Alex
    Becky

    ReplyDelete